Wine causes both delight and a lot of head scratching when it comes to hospitality. Without a doubt, wine is considered a significant part of hospitality and food culture around the world. We all can think of a time where we have sipped the perfect glass, and stopped to savor the perfect pairing with the meal being enjoyed with it. It isn’t always this way, however. So many of us find ourselves saying “I’ll drink what they’re having,” or heading to the store and leaving wondering if the bottle we picked up is the best option for what we are serving. How would it feel to make the shift from perplexity to the confidence of an everyday sommelier?
Dana Beninati, a renowned sommelier, joins us for a conversation to demystify the world of drinking and pairing with confidence. Some of the things you can look forward to hearing her talk about are:
- How does one become a sommelier, and what does that certification mean?
- Glassware, champagne flutes, decanters – what supplies are must-haves and which ones aren’t necessary.
- How to buy a bottle of wine. “Is there a difference between a $3 and $100 bottle?” Also, how to read labels.
- The basics of pairing wine and food, and the truth about white wine with fish!
- Resources to turn to for continued wine education.
- Dana’s passion for working to bring an end to childhood food insecurity.
This conversation is filled with joie de vivre! We are sure that this will leave you with an extra pip in your step as you prepare your menu for your next event. While becoming a sommelier is an admirable goal, my ultimate hope is that you leave our conversation with Dana feeling more equipped to be confident and properly serve wine than when you started. Cheers to becoming an everyday sommelier!